Sunday, March 25, 2007

Endless Highway

"I ain't often right
but I've never been wrong
It seldom turns out the way
it does in the song
Once in a while you get shown the light
in the strangest of placesif you look at it right."
-Robert Hunter "Scarlet Begonias" 1974

I have a really hard time, sometimes, when it comes to holding contrary notions. Don't lie, we all do it. It can be as simple as answering a question "maybe" or "maybe not". Other times, it's holding on to ideas like "look before you leap" and "he who hesitates is lost". The reality of existence is the biggest one. We grow and mature, experiencing so many things in a lifetime, then we either get wise or make the same stupid mistakes over and over. The equalizer here, we're all gonna die alone, doesn't exactly make for a lot of comfort.
Peace through warfare. Being uniquely made but trying desperately to blend in and be the same. We get bombarded with the ideas of liberty and freedom and then we bicker and insult those that disagree with us. You know, the "Annoy a Liberal... Annoy a Conservative..." ethos that so many supposedly sane and open minded people hold to.

I won't even approach the racial topic. Not yet anyways.

I don't pretend to have answers and, frankly, anyone that says they have soild answers to these dichotomies is probably lying, or at the very least justifying behavior with some dogmatic rationale that's loaded with contradictions too.

Life is fun, face it. But, alas, life is confusing and depressing too.
"Life is sad
Life is a bust
All ya can do is do what you must.
You do what you must do and ya do it well,
I'll do it for you, honey baby,Can't you tell?"
-Bob Dylan "Buckets of Rain" 1974

1 comment:

Christopher Newton said...

It's surprising, but I, the Pondering Pig, DO have all the answers! My Daddy knew them all too, and he taught me. He used to say, "Son, we can't all be bodhisattvas, some of us will have to feel some pain!" But I was young and foolish, poor girl.

Then the Beatles taught me money can't buy me love! I knew they were right, till they added a footnote, "They say the best things in life are free, but you can give them to the birds and bees, give me MONEY!, that's what I want!"

Ah, dichotomies, you'll be the best of me. I say, when worst comes to worst, find a strategically placed banana peel, and slip on it.