Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Done Gone

I think I can say with a relative amount of certainty that I have successfully gotten politics out of my system for the time being. I wake up happy and content and the presence of demonic spirits has finally left me.
Politics, you see, is a study in utility maximizing, at least to my mind. I hold to the thought that doing politics is, in reality a dirty business that we must endure to get from day to day. Some see it as a noble pursuit, but I guess I see it more as necessary evil.
Sure, I played with the idea of running for President in 2008, and even broached the topic with possible cabinet appointees. But, unfortunately, I cannot consider and will not accept the nomination of my party. Sorry Pig. Sorry Spoke. Keep trying if you will, but I doubt that I can successfully lead this hodge-podge of contradiction.
The Deomocratic example ends with doom. Look at ancient Greece. The epitome of participatory democracy and when someone like Socrates comes along, he gets the Hemlock straight, no chaser.
The Republican form stands up no better. Rome's senators had no regard for their heroes or even their friends. get a little power thing going and, adios Julius. Stabbed by your own friends and left bleeding in the hallway. Maybe that's how Congressman Foley feels.
I find myself going back again and again to the notion of utility maximizing. How can I get up in the morning with the least amount of damage? Do I have to get up at all? How does a Libertarian wake up in the morning?

No comments: