Saturday, November 11, 2006

The Season of What Now?

Photo by Leo

Politics are still on my mind. I can’t help it. Like the junkie that I am, dumping politics is an impossibility. It may be the worst jones there is. I eternally hope for the best but have yet to see it. My 50 years have proven less than positive in the political realm.

But maybe now…

Now, maybe we will see some repartee between parties. Maybe we will hear some new solutions. Maybe the democrats will mix it up a little bit. I hope for it.

I voted for it too. I want with my whole life for it to get better and the insanity of the past to finally be expunged.

I want to be optimistic, but I'm not sure yet. We Americans are a fickle lot. In less than a generation we have gone from Nixon to Carter to Reagan to Clinton to Bush, ad-nausea.

The majority of the population looks for instant change. The old-timers know it takes effort and time to make a difference. Some of us are downright pessimistic because of past burns.

We saw JFK die on TV. We saw MLK shot. We saw Bobby die. We saw a Pope hit and even Reagan shot, a victim of his own acceptance of the gun. We see violence in the streets every day. We long for newness and peace but get nothing but more violence and social stagnation and segregation that never seems to end.

Whether the newly empowered Democrats will sound or act any differently than the entrenched Republicans remains to be seen at this juncture. The last 40 years of American politics have been, alas, 40 years of re-elections more than 40 years of progress. Time has shown that once elected, the candidate (now encumbent) struggles to keep the job. Maintain the status quo. Keep your job.

No new thing under the sun. Yet I still hope for a change.

My son sits in the other room struggling over chord changes, sounding horribly like John when he wrote "Hide Your Love Away". Maybe his changes will prove to be more lasting. I can only hope so.

No comments: